Thursday, November 15, 2007

Lorenzo

Any day now
When I was a kid, we would drive from Lubbock to my mom's hometown in Lorenzo almost every weekend. It's about a 20 mile drive through cotton fields and empty space. One time when we passed one of the region's ubiquitous churches, I started repeating "Jesus" to myself over and over. After a while, I woke up from a dozy stupor and realized that the syllables I was still repeating to myself had lost any meaning. I had to remind myself what those syllables referred to.

The phrase "any day now" is sort of like that now. We have been reassuring ourselves that the transplant call could come "any day now" for so long that the phrase has lost its meaning. We have to shake ourselves to remind us that it truly could be any day now.

Or not.

No comments: