Friday, July 08, 2005

London


london sign, by wildfalcon
Originally uploaded by Salmonmedia.

As people say, we are all Londoners today. There is something so foundational to me about London. When I stood before the tomb of the first Queen Elizabeth, I don't know why I burst into tears, except that it felt like the beginning place of so much that we love and hold dear.

Two friends from England were visiting us a few years ago, not long after 911, and as we were talking about New York, I just started crying. They were very supportive and sweet; and now I think about them being in the same emotional place.

I found this picture on Flickr, and I think it is so evocative of the Brits. Polite and generous, yet sturdy and brave. The thing that makes my heart swell is the resilience of the Londoners. They are indeed a "plucky lot," and I am proud to count them as part of my ancestral heritage.

There are more photos on Flickr of the bombings in London if you are interested in seeing pictures taken by non-news folks who happened to be there. Just click on "london sign, by wildfalcon," and poke around a little.

No comments: